The first thing you should do to develop a multiplayer game, is to get and have a running instance of DimensioneX on your PC.
- First of all, go to the Download page and download the Ultra-Easy package, which is a complete portable webserver including all you need.
- To install, you simply unzip the easy package and move “DimxPortable” folder you’ve got inside the root folder your local drive (say, C:\ for Windows users). Note that it is not a real installation: it will not slow down your PC as it’s a portable environment. Now open the “DimxPortable” folder and double click “Start”: a menu will appear. Then, click “Documents” in this menu and open the “start from here.txt” file to learn the remaining steps to start the game server.
- If you are a Mac user, things are slightly more difficult because you will have to install Java and the Tomcat webserver (find a guide here) then deploy the DimensioneX package on it. Our guide covers it all.
- If you are a Linux user, just follow instructions for the Mac, and adapt it to your own case.
DimensioneX is a Java application running with the following tested configurations/requirements:
- Tomcat 6 + Java/JDK 1.6.*
- Tomcat 7 + Java/JDK 1.8.*
It might work with other Java versions and webservers but we cannot guarantee this (if you want, test and let us know if a new configuration succeded).
Once you have the development environment verified and working, you are ready to create your first game.
Use the button below to proceed to next step of the tutorial.